Sildenafil relaxes the smooth muscles present in the wall of blood vessels and helps in increasing the flow of blood in certain specific areas of the body. It is used for the treatment of erection disorders and Pulmonary Hypertension (high blood pressure of blood vessels connecting the lungs and the heart).
- Headache SEVERE
- Bloody nose
- Indigestion SEVERE
- Dizziness SEVERE
- Bloody and cloudy urine SEVERE
- Burning, numbness, tingling in the arms and feet SEVERE
- Changes in vision SEVERE RARE
- Sensitivity to light SEVERE RARE
- Prolonged and painful erection SEVERE RARE
- Painful urination SEVERE
SEVERE Contact your doctor immediately if any of these symptoms are experienced on a regular basis.
RARE Observed in a small fraction of population.
This is not an exhaustive list of side effects. Please inform your doctor if you experience any adverse reaction to the medication.
Take Sildenafil as instructed by the doctor. Do not consume this medicine in larger or smaller quantities than recommended. Follow the dosage regimen if this medicine is taken for treating Pulmonary Hypertension. Take this medicine at least 30-60 minutes before sexual activity if taken for erection disorders.
Warnings for special population
- Pregnancy – This medicine is not recommended for consumption by pregnant women unless clearly needed. Consult a doctor and discuss the benefits and risks before taking this medicine.
- Breast-feeding – The use of this medicine should be avoided by nursing mothers. Consult your doctor so that suitable substitute may be advised.
- Hypotension – Consumption of Sildenafil can cause a mild and short-lasting decrease in blood pressure. Caution should be exercised if you are taking any medication for lowering high blood pressure.
- Other medications – Sildenafil should be used with caution if you are taking medicines for hypertension, heart disease etc. Report the use of all medicines including herbs and supplements to the doctor.
- Deformation of penis – Sildenafil should be used with caution in patients having a physical deformity of the penis which may be due to Angulation, Cavernosal Fibrosis or Peyronie disease. The risk of permanent loss of sexual potency is high in such cases.
- Prolonged and painful erection – Sildenafil should be used with caution if you have had a painful erection lasting for more than 4 hours. This may be due to an underlying condition like Sickle cell anemia, Multiple Myeloma or Leukemia.
- Loss of hearing – Sildenafil may cause a sudden decrease in hearing capabilities along with clinging sound in the ears and dizziness. Contact your doctor immediately if such symptoms are observed.
- Loss of vision – Sildenafil may cause a sudden loss of vision in one or both the eyes. It may also cause an impairment in color differentiation capacity. It should be used with extreme caution in patients suffering from this rare genetic disorder of the retina called Retinitis Pigmentosa
- Heart disease – Sildenafil should be used with caution in you have a condition of the heart and blood vessels. Use of this medicine is not recommended if your doctor has asked to not indulge in any sexual activity due to a risk of adverse effect on the heart.
- Surgery – Report the use of Sildenafil before undergoing any surgery including dental procedures.
- Risk of side effects – The risk of side effects is increasingly high in smokers, elderly and people suffering from conditions of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels etc. Caution should be exercised in such cases. Some side effects like dizziness, numbness, nausea and pain could occur while having an intercourse after taking it. Report such instances to the doctor immediately.
- Pediatric use – Use of Sildenafil is not recommended for people aged below 18 years. It can be used only if prescribed by a doctor.